Gracie Gold fell, but so did the other top Americans in the women’s short program at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic.
Gold, 18, the U.S. silver medalist, scored a 58.49, good enough for a two-point lead despite losing her landing on a double axel and looking a little off on triple jumps.
“I think that I fought for the jumps, but I don’t feel like I had to fight for any of the spins,” Gold said, according to the U.S. Figure Skating Association. “I think I was just pretty nervous today.”
She leads over U.S. bronze medalist Agnes Zawadzki, who fell on a planned triple-triple combination at the start of her skate. Zawadzki scored a 56.27 (full results below). The free skate is Saturday at 5 p.m. ET.
Ice dancing also began Friday. Reigning Olympic silver medalists and world champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White posted their highest short dance score at a season-opening event, a 73.67.
The pairs and men’s free skates were scheduled for later Friday.
In the women’s short program, Americans Courtney Hicks and Samantha Cesario, making their senior international debuts, scored 54.80 and 47.91, respectively, for third and fifth place. Both had trouble with triple-triple combinations and double axels.
Cesario, U.S. champion Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang are entered in Skate America, the first Grand Prix event of the season, Oct. 18-20 in Detroit. The U.S. women will compete for three spots on the Olympic team at nationals in Boston in January.
Ice dancers Davis and White, who skated to music from “My Fair Lady,” lead by a comfortable 11 points over Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje going into Saturday’s free dance (8 p.m. ET). Weaver and Poje were fifth at the World Championships in March.
“It’s still really early in the season, and we can’t go out there kind of on autopilot like we can later in the season and just enjoy the process,” Davis said. “We really have to think through everything, which is OK.”
1. Gracie Gold (USA) 58.49
2. Agnes Zawadzki (USA) 56.27
3. Courtney Hicks (USA) 54.80
4. Amelie Lacosta (CAN) 50.94
5. Samantha Cesario (USA) 47.91
6. Sandy Hoffman (GER) 44.31
7. Melanie Yuung-Hui Chang (TPE) 41.62
8. Chelsea Chiappa (HUN) 35.17
9. Crystal Kiang (TPE) 33.73
10. Georgia Glastris (GRE) 31.55
11. Dimitra Korri (GRE) 31.36
12. Danielle Montalbano (ISR) 30.56
13. Clara Peters (IRL) 29.86
14. Brittany Lau (SIN) 27.79
1. Davis/White (USA) 73.67
2. Weaver/Poje (CAN) 62.61
3. Orford/Williams (CAN) 54.64
4. Coomes/Buckland (GBR) 53.97
5. Zlobina/Sitnikov (AZE) 53.75
6. Kriengkrairut/Giuletti-Schmitt (USA) 53.03
7. Tobias/Deividas (LTU) 48.17
8. Cannuscio/McManus (USA) 48.07
9. Polutowska/Gerber (POL) 46.15
10. Reed/Rogov (ISR) 45.23
11. Telegina/Japaridze (GEO) 42.25
12. Bernardi/Mior (ITA) 41.15
13. Aronow/Brubaker (USA) 38.01
14. Maekawa/Maekawa (MEX) 35.58