Lindsey Vonn

Lindsey Vonn makes decision on whether to race World Cup opener

2 Comments

Lindsey Vonn will not race at the season-opening World Cup stop in Soelden, Austria, on Saturday.

“While I physically feel great, I have decided to not race this weekend and instead will focus on returning in Beaver Creek,” she said Wednesday, according to the U.S. Ski Team. “I am confident the extra month of training will ultimately put me in the best position to have a successful season.”

She had been training in Austria for the last week.

Vonn, 29, will now seek to return for the first speed races of the season in Beaver Creek, Colo., beginning Nov. 29. She blew out her right knee in a crash at the World Championships in Schladming, Austria, in February.

Beaver Creek was the original planned return date until her rehab went so well that, after returning to skiing on snow in September, she considered moving her comeback up a month for Saturday’s giant slalom.

The Soelden favorite should be reigning overall World Cup champion Tina Maze of Slovenia, who took the crown of world’s greatest all-around skier with a record-breaking campaign last year.

The U.S. starters for Soelden are scheduled to be Julia MancusoMikaela Shiffrin and Megan McJames on Saturday and Ted LigetyBode Miller, Tim JitloffTommy BiesemeyerRobby Kelley and Kieffer Christianson on Sunday.

Ligety is the reigning World Cup giant slalom champion and World Champion in the event. Miller missed all of last season, recovering from left knee surgery.

“My physical preparation is probably the best it’s been in a long time,” Miller said. “In taking a year away from the World Cup, I’ve been able to let my knee heal completely. I’m ready to return to the World Cup on a hill where I had one of the first wins of my career.”

Universal Sports will have online and TV coverage of the Soelden races this weekend.

Video: Vonn films first crash since return to skiing

Great Britain gets first win at men’s ice hockey worlds in 57 years

AP
Leave a comment

Lord Stanley would be proud. Great Britain’s men’s ice hockey team pulled off its biggest win in more than a half-century on Monday.

Great Britain beat France 4-3 in overtime at the world championship in Slovakia, in its last game of the tournament, to avoid relegation and remain in the top division of worlds in 2020 with the likes of the U.S., Canada and Russia.

France, whose streak of 12 straight top-level world championship appearances ends, had led 3-0 in the second period.

“We just don’t know when we are beaten,” golden-goal scorer Ben Davies said, according to Ice Hockey U.K. “This just underlines what GB is all about.”

It marked the Brits’ first win at a top-level worlds or Olympics since 1962. Great Britain last qualified for an Olympics in 1948. Its only top-level world championship appearance since 1962 was in 1994, when it lost all five games by a combined 44-7.

At these worlds, Great Britain was outscored 38-5 in its first six games, all losses. It came into the 16-nation event as the lowest-ranked team at No. 22 in the world.

“No one knows anything about U.K. hockey, and the first couple of days here people were laughing at us,” defenseman Ben O’Connor said, according to The New York Times, which reported that fans dressed as Queen Elizabeth II, Mary Poppins, Beefeaters, cricket bats and the Olympic ski jumper Eddie “the Eagle” Edwards to the Brits’ 6-3 loss to the U.S. last Wednesday.

(h/t @OlympicStatman)

MORE: Female hockey stars boycott pro leagues

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Caster Semenya enters Pre Classic in new event after testosterone ruling

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Caster Semenya is entered in the Pre Classic on June 30 to run the women’s 3000m, an event that does not fall under the IAAF’s new testosterone limits.

It’s the first announced meet for Semenya since the new IAAF rule capping testosterone in women’s events between the 400m and the mile went into effect. The Court of Arbitration for Sport denied her appeal and upheld the rule on May 1.

Semenya, the two-time Olympic 800m champion, has raced almost exclusively the 400m, 800m and 1500m up until this season.

She won an 800m on May 3 in the last top-level meet before the testosterone cap went into effect for those distances.

At that May 3 meet in Doha, Semenya reportedly said “hell no” when asked if she would take testosterone-suppressing measures to stay eligible for the 400m, 800m or 1500m at the world championships this fall.

Semenya also said she would keep competing but would not race the 5000m, the shortest flat event on the Olympic program that she could move up to without a testosterone cap, according to those same reports.

The flat 3000m is not on the Olympic program (though the 3000m steeplechase is).

South Africa’s track and field federation has indicated it will appeal the CAS ruling.

“I keep training. I keep running,” Semenya said May 3. “Doesn’t matter if something comes in front of me, like I said. I always find a way.”

The Pre Classic women’s 3000m also includes distance titans Almaz Ayana (Olympic 10,000m champion who last raced in 2017), Hellen Obiri (world 5000m champion), Genzebe Dibaba (1500m world-record holder) and Sifan Hassan (world bronze medalist at 1500m and 5000m).

The Pre Classic will be held at Stanford, Calif., this year due to construction at Oregon’s Hayward Field ahead of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials.

VIDEO: Noah Lyles edges Christian Coleman in photo finish

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!