Aksel Lund Svindal broke the Norwegian record for World Cup victories on Sunday, while U.S. star Ted Ligety missed a gate halfway down his run.
Svindal, 30 and the 2010 Olympic super-G champion, navigated the Lake Louise, Alberta, course (while snowing) in 1 minute, 28.53 seconds to take the first super-G of the season. He won his 22nd career World Cup race, bettering Norwegian legend Kjetil Andre Aamodt‘s 21 victories.
“The snow in North America, especially here, and the snow in Scandinavia is more similar than from Scandinavia to Central Europe,” Svindal said, according to the Canadian Press. “I think that has something do to with it. Norwegians tend to do well in North America.”
He also took over the overall World Cup standings lead from Austrian Marcel Hirscher after four of a scheduled 35 races.
Two other Austrians took second and third. Matthias Mayer was .24 of a second behind, followed by Georg Streitberger.
Ligety, who won the World Championships super-G in February, skied out after being more than a half-second behind Svindal after a couple splits.
American Bode Miller, who won silver behind Svindal in the Olympic super-G, finished 22nd. He missed all of last season following knee surgery. His best finish in three races this season was a 16th in the Lake Louise downhill on Saturday.
The Alpine skiing World Cup moves to Beaver Creek, Colo., for three races next weekend, beginning with a super-G on Friday.
Lake Louise super-G
1. Aksel Lund Svindal (NOR) 1:28.53
2. Matthias Mayer (AUT) 1:28.77
3. Georg Streitberger (AUT) 1:28.91
4. Christof Innerhofer (ITA) 1:29.21
5. Patrick Kueng (SUI) 1:29.25
6. Hannes Reichelt (AUT) 1:29.33
7. Max Franz (AUT) 1:29.35
8. Joachim Puchner (AUT) 1:29.38
8. Peter Fill (ITA) 1:29.38
10. Jan Hudec (CAN) 1:29.47
21. Travis Ganong (USA) 1:30.25
22. Bode Miller (USA) 1:30.27
34. Andrew Weibrecht (USA) 1:30.60
36. Erik Fisher (USA) 1:30.70
51. Marco Sullivan (USA) 1:31.55
54. Tim Jitloff (USA) 1:31.65
60. Jared Goldberg (USA) 1:32.47
64. Bryce Bennett (USA) 1:33.05
DNF. Ted Ligety (USA)
DNF. Nick Daniels (USA)