Austrian Anna Fenninger won a World Cup giant slalom for the second straight day in Are, Sweden, on Friday and took the overall lead in the World Cup standings.
Americans Julia Mancuso and Mikaela Shiffrin finished 20th and 24th, respectively.
Fenninger, the Olympic super-G champion and giant slalom silver medalist, prevailed in a two-run time of 2 minutes, .15 of a second on Friday. She beat German Viktoria Rebensburg by .61. Sweden’s Jessica Lindell-Vikarby was third.
Fenninger won her third straight World Cup giant slalom dating to 2013 and overtook Maria Hoefl-Riesch in the overall World Cup standings by seven points with five races left.
The women’s World Cup continues with a slalom in Are on Saturday.
Fenninger also closed to within 14 points of Lindell-Vikarby in the giant slalom season standings. The giant slalom crystal globe will be determined at the World Cup Finals in Lenzerheide, Switzerland, next weekend.
Are giant slalom 2
1. Anna Fenninger (AUT) 2:00.15
2. Viktoria Rebensburg (GER) 2:00.76
3. Jessica Lindell-Vikarby (SWE) 2:00.83
4. Eva-Maria Brem (AUT) 2:00.95
5. Maria Pietilae-Holmner (SWE) 2:01.28
6. Manuela Moelgg (ITA) 2:01.48
7. Nadia Fanchini (ITA) 2:01.70
8. Federica Brignone (ITA) 2:01.92
9. Nina Loeseth (NOR) 2:02.28
10. Maria Hoefl-Riesch (GER) 2:02.47
20. Julia Mancuso (USA) 2:03.12
24. Mikaela Shiffrin (USA) 2:03.27