Two American speed skaters made the podium on the first day of the first World Cup event since the U.S. went medal-less at the Sochi Olympics.
Heather Richardson won a 500m, and Brittany Bowe took third in a 1500m in Inzell, Germany, on Friday. They had finished eighth and 14th in those events, respectively, as part of a dismal US Speedskating performance at the Olympics.
Richardson improved to second in the World Cup season 500m standings, while Bowe remained second in the 1500m behind Olympic champion Ireen Wuest of the Netherlands, who also won in Inzell on Friday.
Richardson and Bowe continued their string of season-long strong World Cup results, further confusing what went wrong in Sochi.
The Inzell World Cup continues with more men’s and women’s races Saturday and Sunday.
Inzell Women’s 500m Race 1
1. Heather Richardson (USA) 37.85
2. Judith Hesse (GER) 37.86
3. Olga Fatkulina (RUS) 37.89
8. Brittany Bowe (USA) 38.13
19. Sugar Todd (USA) 39.09
25. Kelly Gunther (USA) 40.21
28. Anna Ringsred (USA) 40.49
1. Ireen Wuest (NED) 1:54.03
2. Lotte van Beek (NED) 1:54.70
3. Brittany Bowe (USA) 1:55.06
11. Heather Richardson (USA) 1:57.16
1. Jorrit Bergsma (NED) 6:14.08
2. Sverre Lunde Pedersen (NOR) 6:19.48
3. Patrick Beckert (GER) 6:22.71
12. Patrick Meek (USA) 6:32.08