Mo Farah

Mo Farah fine after being wheelchaired off following NYC Half (video)

Leave a comment

NEW YORK — Double Olympic champion Mo Farah said he “sort of” passed out after finishing second in the New York City half marathon Sunday, lying on the ground and then being wheelchaired off.

Farah sprinted through the finish for runner-up, 18 seconds behind Kenyan winner Geoffrey Mutai, and remained standing for several seconds after stopping.

Several minutes later, local TV showed footage of Farah lying on the ground, being tended to, and then being pushed in a wheelchair.

“I do remember sort of passing out,” Farah said about an hour after the race. “I tried so hard in the race, taking a fall and then going through. But, yeah, I’m all right. It’s fine. It’s not a big deal.”

Farah, the Olympic 5000m and 10,000m champion, fell earlier in the race. He got his legs or feet tangled with another runner between the fifth and sixth miles. Farah was in the lead group at the time and dropped 25 seconds behind Mutai at the 15-kilometer mark (9.3 miles).

“I’m not sure what happened,” Farah said. “I just remember sort of falling down and just hitting the ground quite hard. … I got caught on my hip, my ankle, the whole right-hand side.”

Mutai, the two-time reigning New York City Marathon champion, won in 1 hour, 50 seconds. Farah edged Kenyan Stephen Sambu for second place by one second.

“Last four miles I struggled a bit,” Farah said. “I was pretty much seeing stars.”

Farah ran the 13.1-mile race for the first time since winning in 2011. He used it as a warm-up for the London Marathon, his 26.2-mile debut, on April 13.

“Conditions today were very cold,” said Farah, who began the race at 7:30 a.m. in long sleeves, a hat and gloves. “London’s going to be different, but I felt good at that point, to the point I went down [during the race]. It happens in the race. You’ve just got to deal with it.

“It would have been nice to come out here and win the race, but Mutai’s a strong athlete. … I guess nothing changes, you just have to continue training.”

100-year-old man entered in USA Masters Track Championships

Chinese figure skating judges banned for biased Olympic scoring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Two Chinese figure skating judges were suspended by the International Skating Union for biased judging at the PyeongChang Olympics.

Chen Weiguang and Huang Feng had “preferential marking” for top Chinese skaters Jin Boyang (fourth place in PyeongChang) and the silver medalist pairs’ team of Sui Wenjing and Han Cong, respectively, according to the ISU.

Chen was banned two years and excluded from the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. Huang got a one-year ban.

Chen awarded her highest grades of execution scores of the men’s competition to Jin, as well as her second-highest program components scores, trailing only gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu. Both sets of scores, in both the short and long programs, were out of line with the other eight judges.

“There is evidence of preference for the Chinese skater and prejudice against his strongest competitors,” an ISU report read. “Her marks were completely unrealistic.”

The pairs’ judge Huang “obviously favored his pair also vis-à-vis the other top candidates for the Olympic gold medal,” the ISU said in a report, referencing inflated scores for Sui and Han and lower scores for gold and bronze medalists Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot of Germany and Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford of Canada.

Huang was warned one month before the Olympics by the ISU for biased judging at the December 2017 Grand Prix Final pairs’ event.

Both suspensions are subject to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Adam Rippon opines on figure skating future

Javier Fernandez to skip Grand Prix, still compete next season

Getty Images
1 Comment

Javier Fernandez, who in PyeongChang became the first Spanish Olympic figure skating medalist, will skip the fall Grand Prix series but return for January’s European Championships, which could be his final competition.

Europeans will be Fernandez’s focus for the season, his agent said Tuesday.

Fernandez, 26, added an Olympic bronze medal to his 2015 and 2016 World titles. He has said that his third Olympics in PyeongChang would be his last. But Fernandez did not say he would retire after the Winter Games, though he did skip the world championships in March.

Fernandez now plans to compete in his 13th straight European Championships in Minsk in January. He won the last six titles. It’s unknown if he will continue on to the world championships in Saitama, Japan, in March.

In Fernandez’s absence, the top male singles skaters in the fall Grand Prix season should be double Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu, PyeongChang silver medalist Shoma Uno and American Nathan Chen, who was fifth at the Olympics after a disastrous short program but ran away with March’s world title by the largest margin in history.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Adam Rippon opines on figure skating future