Who will be the oldest men’s golfer at Rio Olympics?

Leave a comment

The first Olympic men’s golf tournament in 112 years could very well include some of the oldest athletes across all sports at Rio 2016.

Some golfers who play on the Champions Tour (50 years and older) could earn Olympic berths, given how the 60-golfer field will be made up.

Remember, the Olympic golf field of 60 can include no more than two players per nation once past the top 15 in the Official World Golf Ranking on July 11, 2016. It will likely dip into the 300s in the rankings to complete the field.

That opens the possibility for older golfers from nations without a deep pool of talent to have Olympic aspirations.

Start with German Bernhard Langer, who said at The Masters this week that his big goal next year is the Rio Olympics, according to Bild. He could get to the Olympics, but he has a better chance in a coach or German official role than as a player.

Langer, 57, is ranked No. 638 in the world and eighth among Germans.

The top German is Martin Kaymer, the 2014 U.S. Open winner ranked No. 14. He appears quite likely to take one of the two German berths in Rio.

The No. 2 German is Marcel Siem, a four-time winner on the European Tour ranked No. 69.

Langer faces a tall climb to overtake Siem and the other Germans behind Kaymer. For one, Champions Tour events do not count toward the Official World Golf Ranking.

Secondly, Langer’s only official PGA Tour or European Tour events the last two seasons were the Masters (tied for 25th in 2013, tied for eighth in 2014). And with those stellar Masters finishes, he’s still more than 500 ranking spots behind Siem. He needs to be very high on the top page of the leaderboard at Augusta National this year or next (next year would earn him more Olympic ranking points than this year) to be in a better place in the rankings on the Olympic qualification cutoff date in July 2016.

A Champions Tour golfer with a better chance at Rio 2016 is Vijay Singh, the three-time major champion from Fiji ranked No. 221. Singh, 52, is the only Fijian ranked in the top 1,500 in the world. He has no competition from within his country for an Olympic berth.

He’s also still active on the PGA Tour, placing in the top 10 at the Valspar Championship just last month.

Then there’s Spaniard Miguel Angel Jimenez, whose Olympic prospects fall between Singh and Langer. Jimenez, the cigar-smoking 51-year-old, is ranked No. 60. He is second among Spanish golfers, behind No. 9 Sergio Garcia.

Jimenez will want to make the most of the Masters, given the No. 3 Spaniard, No. 83 overall Pablo Larrazabal, is not in the field this week.

What Rio Olympic golf fields would look like with year-end rankings

Cyclist in induced coma after Tour of Poland crash

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was put into an induced coma Wednesday after suffering injuries in a crash on the final stretch of the Tour of Poland, organizers said.

A massive crash at the finish of the first stage resulted in Dylan Groenewegen‘s disqualification from the race.

Leading a bunch sprint, Groenewegen veered toward the right barrier, pinching countryman Jakobsen, who barreled into the barrier meters from the finish line.

Jakobsen went head over heels, his bike went airborne and the barriers exploded onto the road, causing more cyclists to crash.

Jakobsen was airlifted to a hospital in serious condition and was put into an induced coma, the Tour de Pologne press office said.

Groenewegen crossed the finish line first but was disqualified, giving Jakobsen the stage win, according to the stage race website.

Groenewegen, a 27-year-old Jumbo-Visma rider, owns four Tour de France stage wins among the last three years.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) “strongly condemned” Groenewegen’s “dangerous” and “unacceptable” behavior. It referred Groenewegen’s actions to a disciplinary commission for possible sanctions.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Figure skating Grand Prix Series will be held as ‘domestic’ competitions

Skate America
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Figure skating’s Grand Prix Series will go ahead as scheduled this fall, with modifications due to the coronavirus pandemic, the International Skating Union decided Monday.

Each of the series’ six tops around the globe will be “a domestic run event,” limited to skaters of the event’s host country, who regularly train in the host country and from a respective geographical area. The number of disciplines and skaters at each event are to be worked out.

The Grand Prix Series, held annually since 1995, is a six-event fall season, qualifying the top six skaters and teams per discipline to December’s Grand Prix Final. The annual stops are in the U.S., Canada, China, France, Russia and Japan, leading up to the Final, which is held at a different site each year.

The Final is the second-biggest annual competition after the world championships, which are typically in late March. The Final is still scheduled for Beijing, though whether or when it can be held will be discussed.

The series begins in late October with Skate America, which debuted in 1979 and has been held every year since 1988 as the biggest annual international competition in the U.S. Skate America’s site is Las Vegas, just as it was in 2019.

Skaters typically compete twice on the Grand Prix Series (three times if they qualify for the Final). ISU vice president Alexander Lakernik said skaters will be limited to one start in the six-event series before the Final, according to a Russian media quote confirmed by Phil Hersh.

The ISU has not confirmed or denied Lakernik’s assertion.

Most, if not all, top-level U.S. skaters train in the U.S. or Canada. That makes the first two Grand Prix stops — Skate America and Skate Canada — likely destinations. Grand Prix assignments have not been published.

“I appreciate the ISU is open to adapting competitive formats and is working to give athletes opportunities to compete,” Evan Bates, a U.S. ice dance champion with Madison Chock who trains in Montreal, wrote in a text message to Hersh. “This announcement gives reassurance that the ISU is doing their best to ensure a season will still take place. Of course, it’s hard to predict what will happen, and we’re not sure about what country we would compete in. It would probably depend on what the quarantine rules are at that time.”

The January 2021 U.S. Championships are scheduled for San Jose, Calif. The March 2021 World Championships are set for Stockholm.

In July, the ISU canceled the Junior Grand Prix Series for skaters mostly ages 13 to 18, including two-time U.S. champion Alysa Liu, who cannot enter the senior Grand Prix until 2021.

Other early season senior international competitions scheduled for September were also canceled or postponed.

U.S. Figure Skating said in a statement that it will have more details on the Grand Prix Series in the coming weeks after collaborating with an ISU-appointed group.

“This is a great example of the figure skating community coming together to ensure that the world’s premier figure skating series will continue during these challenging times,” the statement read. “Figure skaters want to compete and figure skating fans from all around the world want to see their favorite athletes skate, and this format will ensure just that.”

MORE: World’s top skater leaves famed coach

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!