Sled hockey helps Josh Sweeney in his recovery (video)

Josh Sweeney
0 Comments

Josh Sweeney, the lone goal scorer in the 2014 Paralympic sled hockey gold-medal game, is back with Team USA in search of IPC World Championship gold over the next 10 days.

Sweeney, 27, served with the U.S. Marine Corps in Afghanistan when he stepped on an improvised explosive device on Oct. 28, 2009, becoming a bilateral amputee.

“When the blast went off, I remember thinking to myself, oh, this is what it feels like to be blown up,” Sweeney told NBC Sports. “I saw that my hands were all messed up. I knew that my legs were gone, because I couldn’t walk. So I knew it was bad, but I didn’t know how bad. It turned out to be better than it could have been.”

Sweeney, who used to play ice hockey, turned to sled hockey and became a star, making his first World Championship team in 2012 and his first Paralympic team in 2014.

In Sochi, Sweeney’s second-period goal was the difference in a 1-0 victory over Russia in the gold-medal game. He went on to earn the Tillman Award for Service at the ESPYs.

NBC Sports Live Extra will stream every game of the IPC Sled Hockey World Championship in Buffalo, N.Y., starting Sunday and running through May 3.

Date Coverage Network Time (ET)
Sun., April 26 Preliminary Group A – Norway vs. Czech Republic NBC Sports Live Extra 9:30 a.m.
Preliminary Group A – Japan vs. Canada NBC Sports Live Extra 1 p.m.
Preliminary Group B – Germany vs. Italy NBC Sports Live Extra 4:30 p.m.
Preliminary Group B – Russia vs. Team USA NBC Sports Live Extra 8 p.m.
Mon., April 27 Preliminary Group A – Japan vs. Czech Republic NBC Sports Live Extra 9:30 a.m.
Preliminary Group A – Norway vs. Canada NBC Sports Live Extra 1 p.m.
Preliminary Group B – Italy vs. Russia NBC Sports Live Extra 4:30 p.m.
Preliminary Group B – Germany vs. Team USA NBC Sports Live Extra 8 p.m.
Wed., April 29 Preliminary Group B – Germany vs. Russia NBC Sports Live Extra 10:30 a.m.
Preliminary Group B – Italy vs. Team USA NBC Sports Live Extra 2 p.m.
Preliminary Group A – Czech Republic vs. Canada NBC Sports Live Extra 5:30 p.m.
Preliminary Group A – Japan vs. Norway NBC Sports Live Extra 9 p.m.
Preliminary Group B – Italy vs. Team USA * NBCSN 10:30 p.m.
Thur., April 30 Qualifying Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 4:30 p.m.
Qualifying Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 8 p.m.
Fri., May 1 Semifinal Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 4:30 p.m.
Semifinal Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 8 p.m.
Semifinal Round – TBA* NBCSN 10:30 p.m.
Sat., May 2 Qualifying Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 4:30 p.m.
Qualifying Round – TBA NBC Sports Live Extra 8 p.m.
Sun., May 3 Bronze Medal Game NBC Sports Live Extra 11 a.m.
Gold Medal Game NBCSN 2:30 p.m.

*denotes same-day delay