A further 28 athletes tested positive in track and field’s international governing body’s retesting of urine samples from the 2005 and 2007 World Championships.
The IAAF said 32 overall “adverse findings” from 28 athletes came up during retesting that began in April using the latest anti-doping technology and that it started disciplinary action.
The IAAF did not reveal the names of any of the athletes but said in a press release that none will compete at the World Championships in Beijing beginning Aug. 22 and that “a large majority of the 28 are retired, some are athletes who have already been sanctioned, and only very few remain active in sport.”
The IAAF said it “will correct the record books and re-allocate medals as necessary.”
Previously, the IAAF said nine athletes were sanctioned following retesting of samples from World Championships.