Wladimir Klitschko and Tyson Fury still have no rematch date, but the Ukrainian gold medalist is not ready to give up on what could come after that fight, a possible return to the Olympics.
If it’s feasible, Klitschko will look into competing at the Rio Olympics in August after the Fury bout, one of his representatives said, confirming German media reports in the last week.
Right now, Klitschko is not eligible for the Olympics. Even if star professional boxers are made eligible, as the sport’s international governing body has discussed, waiting until after fighting Fury later this spring (or even early summer) could be too late to be selected for the Rio Games.
In Klitschko’s previous comments in February, the news that star professional boxers could be made Olympic eligible made no impact on the 1996 Olympic champion.
“I have always said that I would love to participate again in the Olympic Games, but right now I’m only focusing on my rematch with Tyson Fury,” Klitschko said in an emailed comment from one of his representatives in February.
Fury defeated Klitschko by unanimous decision on Nov. 28, the Ukrainian’s first loss in more than 11 years.
Klitschko, 39, said in February 2015 that he “would love to participate” in Olympic boxing if made eligible, calling it “a dream.”
“Any other sport, they can play professionally [and play in the Olympics],” Klitschko said last year. “It’s a shame for boxing that professional boxers cannot perform in the Olympics.”