U.S. pair wins debut of Paralympic women’s triathlon races

Getty Images
0 Comments

Americans Grace Norman and Allysa Seely became the first Paralympic women’s triathlon champions on Sunday.

Norman won the very first Paralympic women’s triathlon in the PT4 division as the sport was added to the Games for Rio. Twenty minutes later, Seely led a U.S. sweep with Hailey Danisewicz and Melissa Stockwell in the PT2 division.

NBCSN and the NBC Sports app will have Paralympics coverage later Sunday at 7 ET.

Norman, 18, won in 1 hour, 10 minutes, 39 seconds, beating silver medalist Lauren Steadman of Great Britain by 64 seconds after a 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run. Norman is also scheduled to race in the 400m preliminary heats later Sunday at Olympic Stadium.

The Ohio native is the first female amputee to qualify for a high school state track meet and finish on the podium. Norman was born missing her left leg below the knee due to congenital constriction band syndrome.

Seely, 27, came from behind to win the PT2 division in 1:22:55, topping Danisewicz by 48 seconds and Stockwell by 2:29.

Seely is the 2015 and 2016 world champion in her class. In 2010, she was diagnosed with Chiari 2 Malformation, Basilar Invagination and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. She had a traumatic brain injury and an incomplete spinal cord injury at the age of 20. Her left leg was amputated below the knee in 2013. Like Norman, she’s also entered in a track event in Rio, the 200m, which starts Monday.

Danisewicz, 25, is the reigning U.S. Paratriathlete of the Year and was the first American to qualify for a Paralympic triathlon. She had her left leg amputated at age 14 after being diagnosed with bone cancer two years earlier.

Stockwell, a mother of a 1-year-old boy, swam at the 2008 Beijing Paralympics as the first Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran to make Team USA.

The first lieutenant and first female U.S. soldier to lose a limb in active combat, Stockwell then switched to paratriathlon and received a last-minute invite to Rio after not qualifying for the U.S. team outright.

MORE: Paralympics broadcast schedule

Diana Taurasi returns to U.S. national basketball team

Diana Taurasi
Getty
0 Comments

Diana Taurasi is set to return to the U.S. national basketball team next week for the first time since the Tokyo Olympics, signaling a possible bid for a record-breaking sixth Olympic appearance in 2024 at age 42.

Taurasi is on the 15-player roster for next week’s training camp in Minnesota announced Tuesday.

Brittney Griner is not on the list but is expected to return to competitive basketball later this year with her WNBA team, the Phoenix Mercury (also Taurasi’s longtime team, though she is currently a free agent), after being detained in Russia for 10 months in 2022.

Taurasi said as far back as the 2016 Rio Games that her Olympic career was likely over, but returned to the national team after Dawn Staley succeeded Geno Auriemma as head coach in 2017.

In Tokyo, Taurasi and longtime backcourt partner Sue Bird became the first basketball players to win five Olympic gold medals. Bird has since retired.

After beating Japan in the final, Taurasi said “see you in Paris,” smiling, as she left an NBC interview. That’s now looking less like a joke and more like a prediction.

Minnesota Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve succeeded Staley as head coach last year. In early fall, she guided the U.S. to arguably the best FIBA World Cup performance ever, despite not having stalwarts Bird, Griner, Tina Charles and Sylvia Fowles.

Taurasi was not in contention for the team after suffering a WNBA season-ending quad injury in the summer. Taurasi, who is 38-0 in Olympic games and started every game at the last four Olympics, wasn’t on a U.S. team for an Olympics or worlds for the first time since 2002.

Next year, Taurasi can become the oldest Olympic basketball player in history and the first to play in six Games, according to Olympedia.org. Spain’s Rudy Fernandez could also play in a sixth Olympics in 2024.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Mo Farah likely to retire this year

Mo Farah
Getty
0 Comments

British track legend Mo Farah will likely retire by the end of this year.

“I’m not going to go to the Olympics, and I think 2023 will probably be my last year,” the 39-year-old Farah said, according to multiple British media reports.

Farah, who swept the 5000m and 10,000m golds at the Olympics in 2012 and 2016, was announced Tuesday as part of the field for the London Marathon on April 23.

Last May, Farah reportedly said he believed his career on the track was over, but not the roads.

London might not be his last marathon. Farah also said that if, toward the end of this year, he was capable of being picked to run for Britain again, he would “never turn that down,” according to Tuesday’s reports.

It’s not clear if Farah was referencing the world track and field championships, which include a marathon and are in Budapest in August. Or selection for the 2024 British Olympic marathon team.

The fastest British male marathoner last year ran 2:10:46, ranking outside the top 300 in the world. Farah broke 2:10 in all five marathons that he’s finished, but he hasn’t run one since October 2019 (aside from pacing the 2020 London Marathon).

Farah withdrew four days before the last London Marathon on Oct. 2, citing a right hip injury.

Farah switched from the track to the marathon after the 2017 World Championships and won the 2018 Chicago Marathon in a then-European record time of 2:05:11. Belgium’s Bashir Abdi now holds the record at 2:03:36.

Farah’s best London Marathon finish in four starts was third place in 2018.

Farah returned to the track in a failed bid to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, then shifted back to the roads.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!