Bode Miller
Getty Images

Bode Miller trains with U.S. Ski Team ahead of possible return

Leave a comment

Bode Miller appeared at on-snow training camps with the U.S. Ski Team the last two months and was named to the top national team Wednesday, but his return to competition is still to be determined.

The U.S. Ski Team provided the update in a press release.

Miller, 39 and the most decorated U.S. Olympic skier with six medals, has not competed since severing a hamstring tendon in his February 2015 World Championships super-G crash.

He trained in late September in Portillo, Chile, not necessarily with an eye on a comeback but to test skis for one of his sponsors, and was seen in uniform skiing in Colorado last week.

Miller was drug tested in every quarter of 2015 and each of the first three quarters of this year, a sign that he never made a full retirement by taking his name out of a drug-testing pool.

His wife, Morgan Miller, gave birth to a girl on Nov. 5, according to his social media.

“We haven’t really addressed [a comeback], but it’s not at the top of the priority list,” Miller reportedly said in September. “Depending on the logistics of everything, it’s a possibility I suppose, but with my family and all my stuff, I just don’t know how it could possibly work. I’m coming up on my fourth [child] in November, and I’m very happy with what I’ve accomplished, I really don’t have anything left to prove or do in the sport. I still love racing and the challenge of it, but at some point, you get to a place where you’re perfectly happy moving on and doing other stuff. In the past, my contribution to companies or my compensation was designed around winning races and being in the spotlight, but I think we’re at a place now where I’m making other contributions and the companies I’m partnering with are comfortable with that. No one is trying to push me back into it.”

Miller is already the oldest U.S. Olympic Alpine skier in history. In 2018, he will be 40 years old, which is seven years older than the next-oldest U.S. Olympic Alpine skier in history.

MORE: Vonn ‘can’t stop, won’t stop’ as she sports gruesome scar

Does Lance Armstrong believe doping contributed to cancer?

Lance Armstrong
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Lance Armstrong said on Sunday’s ESPN film “Lance” that he didn’t know whether he got testicular cancer because of his doping in the early-to-mid 1990s.

“I don’t know the answer to that,” he said. “And I don’t want to say no because I don’t think that’s right, either. I don’t know if it’s yes or no, but I certainly wouldn’t say no. The only thing I will tell you is the only time in my life that I ever did growth hormone was the 1996 season [before being diagnosed with moderate to advanced cancer in October 1996]. So just in my head, I’m like ‘growth, growing, hormones and cells.’ Like, if anything good needs to be grown, it does. But wouldn’t it also make sense that if anything bad is there, that it, too, would grow?”

Armstrong was asked a similar question by Oprah Winfrey in his January 2013 doping confession.

“Do you think that banned substances contributed to you getting cancer?” Winfrey asked.

“I don’t think so,” Armstrong said then. “I’m not a doctor, I’ve never had a doctor tell me that or suggest that to me personally, but I don’t believe so.”

That was not the first time doping and cancer were part of the same conversation.

Teammate Frankie Andreu and then-fiancee Betsy said that Armstrong told a doctor on Oct. 27, 1996, at Indiana University Hospital that he had taken performance-enhancing drugs; EPO, testosterone, growth hormone, cortisone and steroids.

Armstrong said he probably began doping at age 21, in 1992 or 1993.

“I remember when we were on a training ride in 2002, Lance told me that [Michele] Ferrari [the infamous doctor who provided performance-enhancing drugs] had been paranoid that he had helped cause the cancer and became more conservative after that,” former teammate Floyd Landis said in 2011, according to Sports Illustrated.

TIMELINE: Lance Armstrong’s rise and fall

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Cortina requests to postpone Alpine skiing worlds from 2021 to 2022

Alpine Skiing World Championships
AP
Leave a comment

The Italian Winter Sports Federation was making a formal request on Monday to postpone next year’s world Alpine skiing championships in Cortina d’Ampezzo until March 2022.

Italian Olympic Committee president Giovanni Malagò revealed the plans during an interview with RAI state TV on Sunday night.

Considering the fallout in Italy from the coronavirus pandemic, Malagò said “this is the best solution” in order to avoid the championships being canceled or shortened.

“It’s a decision in which we both lose but we realize this is the best — or maybe the only thing — to do,” Malago said.

The Italian federation confirmed that the proposal would be presented during an International Ski Federation (FIS) board meeting Monday. The Italian federation added that the decision to make the proposal was made jointly by the organizing committee in Cortina, the Veneto region and the Italian government.

It will be up to FIS to decide on any postponement.

Cortina was already forced to cancel the World Cup Finals in March this year due to the advancing virus, which has now accounted for more than 30,000 deaths in Italy.

Moving the worlds to March 2022 would put the event one month after the Beijing Olympics and likely force FIS to cancel that season’s finals in Méribel and Courchevel, France.

The Cortina worlds are currently scheduled for Feb. 7-21, 2021.

Worlds are usually held every other winter, in odd years.

Cortina is also slated to host Alpine events during the 2026 Milan-Cortina Olympics.

MORE: Anna Veith retires, leaves Austrian Alpine skiing in unfamiliar territory

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!