British track legend Mo Farah will likely retire by the end of this year.
“I’m not going to go to the Olympics, and I think 2023 will probably be my last year,” the 39-year-old Farah said, according to multiple British media reports.
Farah, who swept the 5000m and 10,000m golds at the Olympics in 2012 and 2016, was announced Tuesday as part of the field for the London Marathon on April 23.
Last May, Farah reportedly said he believed his career on the track was over, but not the roads.
London might not be his last marathon. Farah also said that if, toward the end of this year, he was capable of being picked to run for Britain again, he would “never turn that down,” according to Tuesday’s reports.
It’s not clear if Farah was referencing the world track and field championships, which include a marathon and are in Budapest in August. Or selection for the 2024 British Olympic marathon team.
The fastest British male marathoner last year ran 2:10:46, ranking outside the top 300 in the world. Farah broke 2:10 in all five marathons that he’s finished, but he hasn’t run one since October 2019 (aside from pacing the 2020 London Marathon).
Farah withdrew four days before the last London Marathon on Oct. 2, citing a right hip injury.
Farah switched from the track to the marathon after the 2017 World Championships and won the 2018 Chicago Marathon in a then-European record time of 2:05:11. Belgium’s Bashir Abdi now holds the record at 2:03:36.
Farah’s best London Marathon finish in four starts was third place in 2018.
Farah returned to the track in a failed bid to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, then shifted back to the roads.
OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!