John Carlos
AP

John Carlos feels déjà vu watching NFL protests

1 Comment

John Carlos, who famously raised his black-gloved fist on the 1968 Olympic medal stand, said he felt déjà vu as current athletes, including NFL players, made other gestures in support of human rights in recent weeks.

“I felt like I was a horticulturer or a gardener,” Carlos, the 1968 Olympic 200m bronze medalist, said on CNN on Sunday. “I planted seeds and tilled the earth and watered it. And then 50 years later, here we are. We see the fruits of our labor. There’s many individual kids that understand now, far greater than they did 50 years ago, it’s about worth, self-sacrifice to make a better world.

“These individuals are making statements now to say, hey, my career is a fine situation for me, God blessed me with this talent, but it goes beyond the talent that God gave me. I’m concerned about the talents being lost in my community. … These individuals right now are stepping up and saying, ‘We are setting the tide now because it’s not for us that we make these statements. It’s for our kids to make sure that they have a better opportunity in life down the line.'”

Carlos and gold medalist Tommie Smith were kicked out of Mexico City Games for their podium gesture. At least four NFL players similarly raised their fists Sunday, either during the national anthem or, like Cam Newton, during the game.

Carlos, who briefly played professional football after his track career, repeated Sunday that he would protest in the same way again.

“The price was worth it,” he said. “I would sacrifice one more time today because it’s not about my sacrifice. It’s about revolutionizing the industry to make them understand that everyone deserves a fair shot in life.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: USOC supports athletes expressing themselves after anthem protests

[twitter-follow screen_name=’nzaccardi’ show_count=’yes’ text_color=’00ccff’]

Eliud Kipchoge sets next marathon

Eliud Kipchoge
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Eliud Kipchoge will race the London Marathon on April 26 before he is expected to defend his Olympic title in Japan on Aug. 9, which would mark the shortest break between marathons of his career.

Kipchoge, who in his last 26.2-mile effort became the first person to break two hours at the distance, won all four of his London Marathon starts, including breaking the course record in 2016 and 2019.

His time this past April 28 — 2:02:37 — is the third-fastest time in history. Kipchoge has the world record of 2:01:39 set at the 2018 Berlin Marathon. His sub-two-hour marathon in Vienna on Oct. 12 was not in a record-eligible race.

Kipchoge’s previous shortest break between marathons came in 2016, when he also ran London and the Olympics. The Olympics will be two weeks earlier in 2020 than in 2016.

Kipchoge, 35, has won 11 of 12 marathons since moving to road racing after failing to make Kenya’s 2012 Olympic track team.

He has yet to race the two most prestigious marathons in the U.S. — Boston and New York City — but has said they are on his bucket list.

MORE: Eliud Kipchoge opines on shoe technology debate

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Canadians become first female doubles luge team in World Cup

AP
Leave a comment

WHISTLER, British Columbia (AP) — Caitlin Nash and Natalie Corless made luge history Saturday, becoming the first female team to compete in a World Cup doubles race.

The 16-year-olds from Whistler combined to finish 22nd in a field of 23 sleds, though that seemed largely irrelevant. There have been four-woman teams in what is typically called four-man bobsledding, but luge has never seen a pairing like this until now.

The German sled of Toni Eggert and Sascha Benecken won the race in 1 minute, 16.644 seconds. Germany’s Tobias Wendl and Tobias Arlt finished second and the Russian team of Vsevolod Kashkin and Konstantin Korshunov placed third for their first medal of the season.

The U.S. team of Chris Mazdzer and Jayson Terdiman placed 11th.

But the story was the Canadian teens, who qualified for the World Cup event on Thursday. They were nearly a half-second behind any other finisher and almost 2.7 seconds back of Eggert and Benecken. But they’ll forever be able to say that they were winning the race at one point — a technicality because they were the first ones down the hill at the Whistler Sliding Center, but accurate nonetheless.

The only sled they beat was the Italian team of Ivan Nagler and Fabian Malleier, who crashed in the second heat.

There are women’s singles and men’s singles races on the World Cup luge circuit, but there is no rule saying doubles teams must be composed of two men. There have been more female doubles racers at the junior level in recent years, and it was generally considered to be just a matter of time before it happened at the World Cup level.

That time became Saturday.

Canada had the chance to qualify a second sled into the doubles field because some teams typically on the circuit chose to skip this weekend’s stop, and Nash and Corless got into by successfully finishing a Nations Cup qualifying race on Thursday.

They were 11th in that race out of 11 sleds, more than a full second behind the winner and nearly a half-second behind the closest finisher. But all they had to do was cross the line without crashing to get into Saturday’s competition, and earned their spot in the luge history books as a result.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Top U.S. bobsled driver pregnant, to miss season