Getty Images

Lindsey Vonn’s proposal to race men pulled back

Leave a comment

Lindsey Vonn pulled back her proposal to enter a men’s World Cup race in November, instead keeping her focus on training to break the World Cup career wins record in what may be her final season.

“I haven’t given up on this,” was tweeted from Vonn’s account. “Just delaying it one more year.”

Vonn’s proposal, which had been in the works since last summer, was not on the agenda at this week’s International Ski Federation (FIS) meetings. FIS had been expected to rule on a Vonn proposal this week.

“As no renewed proposal was brought up regarding Lindsey Vonn’s request to race with the men in Lake Louise, this topic was indefinitely tabled,” FIS said in a press release.

That’s because Vonn is putting all her energy into breaking legendary Swede Ingemar Stenmark‘s record of 86 World Cup wins next winter, new U.S. Alpine director Jesse Hunt said, according to the Austria Press Agency and confirmed by U.S. SKi & Snowboard.

The 33-year-old Vonn earned five victories last season to move within four of the mark despite struggling with more knee and back injuries.

“My knee gets a break, and that’s really what matters,” Vonn said after finishing last season in March. “As you progress through the season, I definitely lose strength because I’m just not able to lift as much as I need to keep the knee supported.”

If Vonn sought and was granted a spot in a Lake Louise men’s race in November, FIS rules could have barred her from the women’s World Cup races in Lake Louise the following weekend because of her extra runs at the venue giving her an advantage over female skiers.

Missing three women’s races at Lake Louise, where Vonn owns 18 wins in 44 starts, would significantly impact her pursuit of Stenmark’s record.

Now that no longer appears to be an issue. With a single victory next season, Vonn will break Austrian Elisabeth Goergl‘s record as the oldest woman to win a World Cup race.

“I’m in a good place, picking up steam, confident and relatively healthy,” Vonn said in March. “I hope to (break Stenmark’s record) before my knee gives out.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Lindsey Vonn’s Olympic legacy

Great Britain gets first win at men’s ice hockey worlds in 57 years

AP
Leave a comment

Lord Stanley would be proud. Great Britain’s men’s ice hockey team pulled off its biggest win in more than a half-century on Monday.

Great Britain beat France 4-3 in overtime at the world championship in Slovakia, in its last game of the tournament, to avoid relegation and remain in the top division of worlds in 2020 with the likes of the U.S., Canada and Russia.

France, whose streak of 12 straight top-level world championship appearances ends, had led 3-0 in the second period.

“We just don’t know when we are beaten,” golden-goal scorer Ben Davies said, according to Ice Hockey U.K. “This just underlines what GB is all about.”

It marked the Brits’ first win at a top-level worlds or Olympics since 1962. Great Britain last qualified for an Olympics in 1948. Its only top-level world championship appearance since 1962 was in 1994, when it lost all five games by a combined 44-7.

At these worlds, Great Britain was outscored 38-5 in its first six games, all losses. It came into the 16-nation event as the lowest-ranked team at No. 22 in the world.

“No one knows anything about U.K. hockey, and the first couple of days here people were laughing at us,” defenseman Ben O’Connor said, according to The New York Times, which reported that fans dressed as Queen Elizabeth II, Mary Poppins, Beefeaters, cricket bats and the Olympic ski jumper Eddie “the Eagle” Edwards to the Brits’ 6-3 loss to the U.S. last Wednesday.

(h/t @OlympicStatman)

MORE: Female hockey stars boycott pro leagues

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Caster Semenya enters Pre Classic in new event after testosterone ruling

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Caster Semenya is entered in the Pre Classic on June 30 to run the women’s 3000m, an event that does not fall under the IAAF’s new testosterone limits.

It’s the first announced meet for Semenya since the new IAAF rule capping testosterone in women’s events between the 400m and the mile went into effect. The Court of Arbitration for Sport denied her appeal and upheld the rule on May 1.

Semenya, the two-time Olympic 800m champion, has raced almost exclusively the 400m, 800m and 1500m up until this season.

She won an 800m on May 3 in the last top-level meet before the testosterone cap went into effect for those distances.

At that May 3 meet in Doha, Semenya reportedly said “hell no” when asked if she would take testosterone-suppressing measures to stay eligible for the 400m, 800m or 1500m at the world championships this fall.

Semenya also said she would keep competing but would not race the 5000m, the shortest flat event on the Olympic program that she could move up to without a testosterone cap, according to those same reports.

The flat 3000m is not on the Olympic program (though the 3000m steeplechase is).

South Africa’s track and field federation has indicated it will appeal the CAS ruling.

“I keep training. I keep running,” Semenya said May 3. “Doesn’t matter if something comes in front of me, like I said. I always find a way.”

The Pre Classic women’s 3000m also includes distance titans Almaz Ayana (Olympic 10,000m champion who last raced in 2017), Hellen Obiri (world 5000m champion), Genzebe Dibaba (1500m world-record holder) and Sifan Hassan (world bronze medalist at 1500m and 5000m).

The Pre Classic will be held at Stanford, Calif., this year due to construction at Oregon’s Hayward Field ahead of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials.

VIDEO: Noah Lyles edges Christian Coleman in photo finish

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!