2018 Tour de France broadcast schedule

NBC and NBCSN will air live coverage of all 21 stages of the Tour de France, while NBC Sports Gold will live stream every stage from start to finish with its “Cycling Pass.”

The Grand Tour runs from July 7-29. NBC Sports will have a record 365-plus hours of live, primetime and encore coverage.

Team Sky’s Chris Froome goes for his record-tying fifth Tour de France title and fourth in a row.

Froome, cleared of an abnormal drug-test case less than a week before the Tour, aims to match the career wins record held by Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain.

Froome currently holds all three Grand Tour titles, winning the Vuelta a Espana in September and the Giro d’Italia in June.

His challengers include Movistar’s Nairo Quintana (runner-up in 2013 and 2015) and 2014 Tour winner Vincenzo Nibali of Bahrain-Merida as well as two former Team Sky mates, Richie Porte and Mikel Landa.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Ten riders to watch at Tour de France

DAY TIME (ET) STAGE NETWORK
Sat., July 7 4:40 a.m. Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l’Île / Fontenay-le-Comte (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sat., July 7 5 a.m. Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l’Île / Fontenay-le-Comte (LIVE) NBCSN
Sat., July 7 8 p.m. Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l’Île / Fontenay-le-Comte NBCSN
Sat., July 7 Midnight Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l’Île / Fontenay-le-Comte NBCSN
Sun., July 8 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Sun., July 8 7 a.m. Stage 2: Mouilleron-Saint-Germain / La Roche-sur-Yon (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sun., July 8 7:30 a.m. Stage 2: Mouilleron-Saint-Germain / La Roche-sur-Yon (LIVE) NBCSN
Sun., July 8 4:30 p.m. Stage 2: Mouilleron-Saint-Germain / La Roche-sur-Yon NBC
Sun., July 8 8 p.m. Stage 2: Mouilleron-Saint-Germain / La Roche-sur-Yon NBCSN
Sun., July 8 Midnight Stage 2: Mouilleron-Saint-Germain / La Roche-sur-Yon NBCSN
Mon., July 9 8 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Wed., July 11 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Wed., July 11 8 a.m. Stage 5: Lorient / Quimper (LIVE) NBCSN
Wed., July 11 Noon Stage 5: Lorient / Quimper NBCSN
Wed., July 11 2:30 p.m. Stage 5: Lorient / Quimper NBCSN
Wed., July 11 8 p.m. Stage 5: Lorient / Quimper NBCSN
Wed., July 11 Midnight Stage 5: Lorient / Quimper NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 6:50 a.m. Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Thurs., July 12 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 7:30 a.m. Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan (LIVE) NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 Noon Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 2:30 p.m. Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 8 p.m. Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan NBCSN
Thurs., July 12 Midnight Stage 6: Brest / Mûr de Bretagne Guerlédan NBCSN
Fri., July 13 5:50 a.m. Stage 7: Fougères / Chartres (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Fri., July 13 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Fri., July 13 8 a.m. Stage 7: Fougères / Chartres (LIVE) NBCSN
Sat., July 14 5:20 a.m. Stage 8: Dreux / Amiens Métropole (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sat., July 14 7:30 a.m. Stage 8: Dreux / Amiens Métropole (LIVE) NBC
Sat., July 14 Midnight Stage 8: Dreux / Amiens Métropole NBCSN
Sun., July 15 6 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Sun., July 15 6:20 a.m. Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sun., July 15 6:30 a.m. Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix (LIVE) NBCSN
Sun., July 15 8 p.m. Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix NBCSN
Sun., July 15 Midnight Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix NBCSN
Mon., July 16 8 a.m. Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix NBCSN
Mon., July 16 8 p.m. Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix NBCSN
Mon., July 16 Midnight Stage 9: Arras Citadelle / Roubaix NBCSN
Tues., July 17 4:30 a.m. La Course by Le Tour de France NBC Sports Gold
Tues., July 17 7 a.m. Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Tues., July 17 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Tues., July 17 7:30 a.m. Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand (LIVE) NBCSN
Tues., July 17 12:30 p.m. Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand NBCSN
Tues., July 17 2:30 p.m. Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand NBCSN
Tues., July 17 8 p.m. Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand NBCSN
Tues., July 17 Midnight Stage 10:  Annecy / Le Grand-Bornand NBCSN
Wed., July 18 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Wed., July 18 7:50 a.m. Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Wed., July 18 8 a.m. Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo (LIVE) NBCSN
Wed., July 18 Noon Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo NBCSN
Wed., July 18 2:30 p.m. Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo NBCSN
Wed., July 18 8 p.m. Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo NBCSN
Wed., July 18 Midnight Stage 11: Albertville / La Rosière Espace San Bernardo NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 6 a.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Thurs., July 19 6 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 6:30 a.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez (LIVE) NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 12:30 p.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 2:30 p.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 6 p.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez NBCSN
Thurs., July 19 1:30 a.m. Stage 12: Bourg-Saint-Maurice Les Arcs / Alpe d’Huez NBCSN
Fri., July 20 7:20 a.m. Stage 13: Bourg d’Oisans / Valence (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Fri., July 20 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Fri., July 20 8 a.m. Stage 13: Bourg d’Oisans / Valence (LIVE) NBCSN
Sat., July 21 1:30 a.m. Stage 13: Bourg d’Oisans / Valence NBCSN
Sat., July 21 6 a.m. La Course by Le Tour de France NBCSN
Sat., July 21 6:50 a.m. Stage 14: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux / Mende (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sat., July 21 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Sat., July 21 8 a.m. Stage 14: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux / Mende (LIVE) NBCSN
Sun., July 22 7 a.m. Stage 15: Millau / Carcassonne (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sun., July 22 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Sun., July 22 7:30 a.m. Stage 15: Millau / Carcassonne (LIVE) NBCSN
Sun., July 22 10:30 p.m. Stage 15: Millau / Carcassonne NBCSN
Mon., July 23 8:30 a.m. Rest Day Coverage NBCSN
Mon., July 23 12:30 p.m. Rest Day Coverage NBCSN
Mon., July 23 8 p.m. Rest Day Coverage NBCSN
Mon., July 23 Midnight Rest Day Coverage NBCSN
Tues., July 24 5:20 a.m. Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Tues., July 24 7:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Tues., July 24 8 a.m. Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon (LIVE) NBCSN
Tues., July 24 Noon Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon NBCSN
Tues., July 24 2:30 p.m. Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon NBCSN
Tues., July 24 8 p.m. Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon NBCSN
Tues., July 24 Midnight Stage 16: Carcassonne / Bagnères-de-Luchon NBCSN
Wed., July 25 8:30 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Wed., July 25 8:50 a.m. Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon / Saint-Lary-Soulan (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Wed., July 25 9:30 a.m. Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon / Saint-Lary-Soulan (LIVE) NBCSN
Wed., July 25 Noon Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon / Saint-Lary-Soulan NBCSN
Fri., July 27 5:50 a.m. Stage 19: Lourdes / Laruns (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Fri., July 27 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Fri., July 27 7:30 a.m. Stage 19: Lourdes / Laruns (LIVE) NBCSN
Fri., July 27 12:30 p.m. Stage 19: Lourdes / Laruns NBCSN
Fri., July 27 2:30 p.m. Stage 19: Lourdes / Laruns NBCSN
Fri., July 27 8 p.m. Stage 19: Lourdes / Laruns NBCSN
Sat., July 28 5:50 a.m. Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle / Espelette (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sat., July 28 7 a.m. Tour de France Pre-Race Show NBCSN
Sat., July 28 7:30 a.m. Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle / Espelette (LIVE) NBCSN
Sat., July 28 3 p.m. Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle / Espelette NBC
Sat., July 28 8 p.m. Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle / Espelette NBCSN
Sun., July 29 6:30 a.m. Stage 20: Saint-Pée-sur-Nivelle / Espelette NBCSN
Sun., July 29 9:30 a.m. Stage 21: Houilles / Paris Champs-Élysées (LIVE) NBCSN
Sun., July 29 10 a.m. Stage 21: Houilles / Paris Champs-Élysées (LIVE) NBC Sports Gold
Sun., July 29 9 p.m. Stage 21: Houilles / Paris Champs-Élysées NBCSN
Fri., Aug. 10 2 a.m. Tour de France a la Voile NBCSN

Red Gerard parts with gold medal (briefly) as he returns to slopestyle

Getty Images

Red Gerard‘s gold medal is damaged. His desire to compete remains in tact.

“The gold medal is, honestly, not doing too good,” Gerard said in a recent interview in New York City.

The 18-year-old snowboarder then unfurled the medal from his pocket and pointed to an adorning clip.

“It took a little beating,” he said. “It broke. We’re going to get it fixed.”

Like many Rio Olympic medalists, Gerard said he planned to send his medal off for repairs. It is a historic one.

Nine months ago, the sixth of seven kids from a Colorado snowboarding family became the first American to take gold in PyeongChang. He became the youngest Olympic snowboarding champion and the youngest individual male U.S. Winter Olympic champion. Eighteen family members made their own headlines, partying at the bottom of the slopestyle course.

Gerard was an underdog in South Korea, not just in stature (not quite 5 and a half feet), but by his previous results. He had not made a podium at the X Games or U.S. Open. His two top-level wins came in California and Utah events without the top Canadians and Norwegians in the field.

Really, it was reminiscent of friend Sage Kotsenburg, whose second slopestyle win in nine years came at the event’s Olympic debut in Sochi. Kotsenburg entered seven contests in his follow-up season, according to World Snowboarding, then faded out of competition to focus on making snowboard films, ultimately announcing retirement at age 23 in 2017.

While Gerard also enjoys filming, he plans to carve a different path.

“I love doing contests,” he said, “and I love the exhilaration that you get from them.”

Gerard already competed in New Zealand in September, placing 21st in a big air event. His season begins in earnest in December with the Dew Tour in Breckenridge, Colo., then the X Games in January, world championships in Park City in February, plus the U.S. Open in Vail.

Maybe one of those days will be like the Olympics. Gerard credited his PyeongChang success to the course suiting him. He chose off-path features on the rail and jump sections that others ignored, not winning solely on the back of big tricks.

“Every contest, there’s a different person that wins, for the most part,” he said. “I’m super psyched that it just so happened for me, it was the Olympics.”

Minutes after winning in PyeongChang, Gerard said he didn’t know about 2022. He only knew that he wanted to do snowboard filming.

“I 100 percent want to go into 2022,” he said last month. “Definitely that’s on my list. But also filming is one step ahead for me right now. Filming is always something I’ve had a passion for. That’s my goal for next year, then after that I’ll go back to contests and focus more on that.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

VIDEO: Chloe Kim lands trick never done before by a woman

Ashley Wagner on competitive future, role as coach, and upcoming shows

Getty Images

When Ashley Wagner finished the 2018 season, she made a promise to herself that she would live a little bit more of life. She moved across the country, from Los Angeles to Boston, and while she’s still on the ice every day skating and participating in a slate of upcoming shows, she’s now added to her resume as a coach.

We caught up with the three-time national champion and World silver medalist. (Questions and answers lightly edited for clarity.)

How did you get involved in the Scott Hamilton CARES Foundation show, Scott Hamilton & Friends

I have actually performed in Scott’s show a couple of times but it’s always during the Grand Prix season, so I haven’t been able to skate in it for the past few years because I needed to focus on my training. It was one of those things where I feel like he heard that I was taking the Grand Prix season off and he reached out to me and asked if I wanted to take part. It was such an easy yes. It’s a really great show. He does a fantastic job at putting together the golden era of figure skating shows. This is how figure skating shows are meant to be. You always know that you’re going to be skating in something that is quality.

The last time I spoke to Scott, he said that even though he says this every year, this show is gonna be the best ever.

I mean, yeah, ‘cause I’m skating in it! [laughing] No, it’s gonna be great. I’m really excited. He passed along my music to me and he sent me an email. He’s like, I heard this song and I thought it was just made for you right away. It’s nice to know that he goes through all of the music selections and really caters it to his show. I think that’s a detail that makes this show so much different than anything else. The music is selected for each athlete so you know that’s it’s a cohesive show. It should be great. We have a couple Olympic medalists. This is the best show you’re gonna see, no joke.

View this post on Instagram

Working on something new today!🎵🎶

A post shared by Ashley Wagner (@ashwagner2010) on

What’s different about skating to live music compared to a track?

Live music is a lot harder to skate to because you can have an artist up on the stage and maybe they’re feeling a note and you’re in a spiral. All of a sudden you’re like, okay you need to end this note! You’re singing it a lot longer than I’m used to! There are a lot more variables.

It’s like watching skating live versus watching it on TV. When you’re in the arena and the skater is in front of you, you can feel the emotion and the energy that they’re putting out in a performance. I think that skating to live music, you get that same kind of sense. You really get to experience all of the heart that a performer is putting into their music. And that combined with live skating I think it just makes for such a magical recipe. You just really get to experience skating, and experience the music.

How’s life in Boston?

I love it here! This was the best decision that I could’ve made. I’m so happy here. I promised myself after 2018 that I was going to give myself the opportunity to live a little bit of life. I’m still on the ice and skating every single day. But this city just has so much to offer and I feel like I’m really getting to experience a lot more than I was able to in LA. I’m so happy here.

Have you caught yourself adopting any of your coach Rafael Arutunian’s mannerisms when you’re coaching?

Raf is such a loud coach, and he gets away with it because he’s a big Russian man. But as soon as I raise my voice I look ridiculous. It’s been a balance, because it’s a different level of skating here than I’m used to. I’m used to professional, high-level skating and coming here it’s a bunch of kids who are on their way up. Which is really exciting, but it’s definitely been an adjustment for me just to kind of reel back a little bit and not turn into Rafael.

It’s a different phase in their careers.

Exactly. They’re not quite at the level where I can just scream at them to skate a long program. Because they’re 12 years old and I can’t scream at kids.

And they have parents.

And parents! I have to deal with parents. That’s the scariest part of figure skating. I haven’t had to deal with parents since I was 18. That’s been a big change for me.

You did some commentary work for NHK Trophy in Japan. How was that?

It was so much fun and also terrifying. The first event that I covered was the pairs’ short program, so it was definitely a sink or swim moment. I think pairs skating is like the moon. I don’t understand it. It’s so different from anything that I do in my skating life. It was terrifying. I spent the first warm up in a blackout. And then finally was like, ‘okay, I can do this!’ I’m really glad that I got to see what it’s like on the other side. It’s way harder than it sounds.

View this post on Instagram

Adulting with Andrea

A post shared by Ashley Wagner (@ashwagner2010) on

Did you have a lot of homework?

I did. It was tough because I didn’t really know what I was walking into. I was working with Andrea Joyce so it was like how communication was gonna go, what her role was going to be, what I was responsible for. Once I experienced that I knew how to prepare myself a lot more.

You already mentioned you’re taking the Grand Prix season off. Can you say anything else about your competitive future?

Right now, to be completely honest, I’m not entirely sure what I want to do. Watching the ladies’ event [at NHK Trophy] in Japan, it was one of those situations where definitely maybe take a step back and think, okay, in order to even be competitive on the scene right now, you need to be throwing out technically perfect programs with two triple-triples, and if you’re not even thinking about a triple Axel, then maybe you should step aside.

It’s one of those things where sometimes it’s best to just take a step back and let skating progress the way it’s going to. I watched Carolina Kostner and what she was able to do toward the later part of her career and I really admire that. I think that there’s something to be said about coming out and putting out quality and still being able to perform that doesn’t entirely write off someone who’s not trying the technically most difficult program. But it’s a lot of work. It’s one of those things where I have to start considering whether or not it’s worth it.

As a reminder, you can watch the ISU Grand Prix Series live and on-demand with the ‘Figure Skating Pass’ on NBC Sports Gold. Go to NBCsports.com/gold/figure-skating to sign up for access to every ISU Grand Prix and championship event, as well as domestic U.S. Figure Skating events throughout the season. NBC Sports Gold gives subscribers an unprecedented level of access on more platforms and devices than ever before.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

MORE: Karen Chen out of Grand Prix Series