AP

Matthew Boling, high school track phenom, chooses summer meets

Leave a comment

Matthew Boling, the Texan who ran the fastest all-conditions 100m in high school history, plans to compete in next month’s USATF U20 Outdoor Championships and, should he make the national team, the Pan American U20 Championships in July, his coach said Tuesday.

Boling does not plan to compete in the senior USATF Outdoor Championships, which are one week after the Pan American U20 Championships.

“That’s a place where he can go and be successful, not be thrown to the wolves,” Houston Strake Jesuit coach Chad Collier said of U20 competition versus senior nationals. “He has an opportunity to get on the [medal] stand in several events, then get a chance to go to the University of Georgia, be a freshman, be a college student.”

The USATF U20 Outdoor Championships air on USATF.tv+ for subscribers from June 21-23. Boling is on the qualifiers list in the 100m, 200m and long jump.

Boling, who turns 19 on June 20, is eligible to compete at senior nationals. He qualified in the 100m on May 11 by clocking a wind-legal 10.13 seconds at his state championships (one of the fastest, but not the fastest time by a U.S. high schooler in history).

Boling first garnered internet buzz by running 9.98 on April 27, though that was with a 4.2 meter/second tailwind, more than twice the legal limit (breaking Trayvon Bromell‘s record for the fastest 100m by a high schooler regardless of wind reading). The time converted to around a 10.16 in still conditions.

Boling ranks tied for 14th in the U.S. in the 100m this year, according to the IAAF. The top six at senior nationals are likely to make the world championships 4x100m team.

Boling may be a better long jumper. He ranks fifth in the U.S. in that event this season, having leaped 8.01 meters.

Boling also split a 44.75 on a 4x400m relay on May 11, which would rank sixth in the U.S. this year for the individual 400m, though relay splits are faster than times off flat starts.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

VIDEO: Noah Lyles outduels Christian Coleman in Shanghai

Caster Semenya allowed to race 800m at Pre Classic

AP
Leave a comment

Caster Semenya has been switched from the 3000m to the 800m at next week’s Pre Classic, marking her first scheduled 800m since a Swiss Supreme Court ruling allowed her to race her Olympic gold-medal distance while she appeals a new IAAF testosterone rule.

“Caster’s representation requested that she be moved from the 3,000 meters (where she was originally entered) to the 800 meters, and we are happy to comply,” Prefontaine Classic meet director Tom Jordan said in a statement, confirming a Reuters report.

NBC Sports airs live Pre Classic coverage on June 30 from 4-6 p.m. ET.

Semenya, the two-time Olympic 800m champion, was originally entered in the 3000m because the rule bars her from races between 400m and the mile unless she takes testosterone-suppressing measures, under which she would be allowed to return to those distances late this year. Semenya refuses to take those measures.

A Swiss Supreme Court ruling two weeks ago lifted the restriction for Semenya — but not other athletes — while her appeal is pending. The IAAF has until Monday to respond to the court before a ruling could be made. A resolution could still be months away, with Semenya possibly able to race until that day comes.

Semenya has won 30 straight 800m races dating to 2015, including the Rio Olympics and 2017 World Championships. All three Rio Olympic 800m medalists have said they are affected by the new rule capping testosterone in women’s races between the 400m and mile.

That meant none raced at Diamond League stops in Stockholm and Rabat, Morocco, earlier this month. Last Sunday’s Rabat meet offered Semenya a late invite, more than a week after her restriction was lifted, but Semenya said it was too late for her to travel in time to race.

American record holder Ajeé Wilson won the Stockholm 800m without any of the Olympic medalists in the field.

MORE: Caster Semenya to IAAF: Focus on dopers, not us

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

Geraint Thomas crashes out of Tour de France prep race

AP
Leave a comment

BASEL, Switzerland (AP) — Tour de France champion Geraint Thomas crashed in a cycling race, days after teammate Chris Froome was involved in a season-ending accident in France.

Team INEOS said Thomas should be fine to start the Tour de France on July 6 despite having to drop out of the fourth stage of the nine-day Tour de Suisse race in Switzerland.

“Clearly it’s frustrating and a small setback for my Tour de France preparations, but there’s still plenty of time before we start in Brussels in a few weeks’ time,” Thomas said, according to the team.

The team says on Twitter that Thomas “was alert and speaking to the team after the crash and will be taken to hospital for checks.”

Thomas had a ripped jersey and cuts on his back and shoulder after hitting the road with about 18 miles left in the stage. He was in eighth place, 28 seconds behind race leader Peter Sagan.

Thomas won the 2018 Tour after Froome won four times between 2013 and 2017.

Watch world-class cycling events throughout the year with the NBC Sports Gold Cycling Pass, including all 21 stages of the Tour de France live & commercial-free, plus access to renowned races like La Vuelta, Paris-Roubaix, the UCI World Championships and many more.

MORE: NBC Sports launches Cycling Pass for 2019-20 season

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!