Charl Schwartzel

Getty Images

Tennis stars, unlike golfers, not deterred by Zika virus in Rio

Leave a comment

LONDON (AP) — While the Zika virus and family concerns have notably deterred some of golf’s best players from going to the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, the tennis elite isn’t put off.

Defending men’s champion Andy Murray said at Wimbledon on Saturday, “My plan is still to play.”

Roger Federer was also full steam ahead. “I’ll put mosquito spray on my body and take the precautions I have to,” said Federer, the runner-up to Murray in the London Games four years ago and a doubles gold medalist in the 2008 Beijing Games.

“I’m not afraid of Zika,” said Petra Kvitova, the two-time Wimbledon champ from the Czech Republic. “I will definitely go there.”

Rafael Nadal headlined the Rio Open in February and has said he will go to the Olympics, if fit.

Then there was the blissful ignorance of French Open champion Garbine Muguruza.

“I don’t really know what is Zika,” she said. But the Spaniard was sure the Olympics would not proceed if the virus posed a serious threat.

The mosquito-borne disease has been linked to severe birth defects in infants born to infected women, and possible neurological problems in adults, but to Kvitova the Olympics outweigh the risks.

She said she receives updates from a doctor with the Czech Olympic team, but admits she doesn’t read them all. But there was no way she was missing the games. “For me,” she said, “it’s like another Grand Slam.”

Federer, the father of four kids, respected the choices by the likes of golfers Rory McIlroy and Charl Schwartzel to be unavailable for Rio selection because of the virus. Other absentees, such as Adam Scott, Louis Oosthuizen and Graeme McDowell, did not cite Zika.

“I have never reconsidered my decision,” Federer said at Wimbledon. “I know I will play. I will try everything I can to be there. For me, it’s always been a big deal, the Olympics, regardless of (tournament) points or not, or where it is.”

Murray, who had his first child in February, has always been positive about going to Rio, but has always sought the latest medical advice.

“The doctor in British tennis, who has been working there for 35-40 years, he thinks (Rio is) pretty safe, and we should be OK,” Murray said. “When I’m done here (at Wimbledon), I’ll have another chat to make sure.”

MORE: Branden Grace is fourth golfer to skip Olympics due to Zika

Charl Schwartzel withdraws from Olympic golf

Charl Schwartzel
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Charl Schwartzel became the third Masters champion and second South African major winner to say he will skip the Rio Olympic golf tournament, according to Gary Player‘s social media and Golf.com.

Schwartzel, the world’s 20th-ranked golfer and the 2011 Masters champion, joins countryman Louis Oosthuizen in missing the first Olympic golf tournament in 112 years.

Oosthuizen, the 2010 British Open champion ranked No. 13 in the world, cited “long deliberations” and “family and schedule issues” in a statement last week.

Past Masters champions Adam Scott and Vijay Singh will also skip the Rio Games due at least in part to scheduling issues.

With Oosthuizen and Schwartzel out, South Africa’s Olympic men’s golf team will likely be composed of No. 11 Branden Grace and No. 59 Jaco Van Zyl.

MORE: Player set for Olympic return, 60 years after meeting Jesse Owens