Ethiopia

Getty Images

Almaz Ayana out of world track and field championships

Leave a comment

Ethiopian Almaz Ayana, the Olympic and world champion and world-record holder at 10,000m, withdrew from the world track and field championships, according to the IAAF.

Ayana, who in Rio clocked 29:17.45 to chop 14.33 seconds off a 22-year-old world record, has raced just once since the start of 2018. That came at the Pre Classic on June 30, when she was last of 18 finishers in a 3000m.

Ayana underwent surgery on both knees in July 2018, according to the IAAF.

In her absence, the favorites for the world championships race on Saturday could include Ethiopian-born Dutchwoman Sifan Hassan, the mile world-record holder, should she choose to enter the 10,000m.

The world’s fastest woman over the last two years is Ethiopian Letesenbet Gidey at 30:37.89.

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

TRACK AND FIELD WORLDS: TV Schedule | U.S. Roster

[twitter-follow screen_name=’nbcolympictalk’ show_count=’yes’ text_color=’00ccff’]

Genzebe Dibaba, 1500m world record holder, to miss world championships

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Genzebe Dibaba, the 1500m world record holder, will miss the world track and field championships that start next week due to a right foot injury, according to her agency.

The Ethiopian Dibaba lowered the 1500m world record to 3:50.07 in 2015, then won the world title a month later. Kenyan Faith Kipyegon relegated her to silver at the Rio Olympics. Dibaba was last in the 12-woman final at the 2017 Worlds, then withdrew from the 5000m at that meet, citing illness.

Dibaba’s absence further opens the door for Americans Shelby Houlihan (second-fastest in the world last year) and Jenny Simpson, the Olympic bronze medalist and 2017 World silver medalist.

Ethiopian-born Dutchwoman Sifan Hassan is fastest in the world this year and broke the mile world record on July 12. Hassan has range from 800m through 10,000m, and it’s not guaranteed she will contest the 1500m in Doha starting with the first round Oct. 2.

The event is already lacking Caster Semenya, the two-time Olympic 800m champion who took bronze in her world 1500m debut in 2017. Semenya is excluded from races from 400m through the mile under the IAAF’s new rule capping testosterone in those events.

MORE: U.S. roster for track and field worlds

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

[twitter-follow screen_name=’nbcolympictalk’ show_count=’yes’ text_color=’00ccff’]

Haile Gebrselassie disputes Mo Farah’s hotel robbery claim

Getty Images
1 Comment

Mo Farah claimed he was robbed at retired marathon legend Haile Gebrselassie‘s hotel in Ethiopia. Gebrselassie disputes it, strongly.

Farah, speaking ahead of racing Sunday’s London Marathon (4 a.m. ET, NBCSN and NBC Sports Gold), reportedly said he was robbed of more then $3,000 among different currencies during a three-month stay at Gebrselassie’s Ethiopian hotel that caters to elite runners’ altitude training. Two phones and a watch were also taken, Farah said.

“Just disappointed with Haile,” Farah said, adding, according to the Guardian, “The hotel wasn’t going to do nothing so I called the police, they came over, took stuff, went away, then said they arrested five guys but they got released again. Then I sent Haile a message to tell him what had happened but he didn’t reply. He didn’t say anything. He didn’t respond even though that’s his hotel.

“I just want Haile to take responsibility of getting my stuff back. It’s a hotel’s responsibility to be able to get it back.”

Gebrselassie, the 1996 and 2000 Olympic 10,000m champion and former marathon world-record holder, denied Farah’s claim via statement, confirmed by Gebrselassie’s manager.

A thorough police investigation found nothing and cleared five employees who were in custody for three weeks, Gebrselassie said. He added that Farah was reported to police for attacking another athlete in a gym, but criminal charges were dropped after Gebrselassie mediated. And that Farah left without paying a reported service bill of 81,000 Ethiopian Birr (about $2,800) while being given a 50 percent rate discount on his stay.

Gebrselassie called Farah’s claim an “act of defamation on my hard earned reputation and business. Lawyers will deal with the matter accordingly.”

Farah later disputed all of Gebrselassie’s claims, a spokesperson said.

“Mo is disappointed with this statement and the continued reluctance by the hotel and its owner to take responsibility for this robbery,” the spokesperson said. “Mo disputes all of these claims which are an effort to distract from the situation, where members of his hotel staff used a room key and stole money and items from Mo Farah’s room (there was no safe as it was faulty, and Mo requested a new one). Police reports confirm the incident and the hotel admitted responsibility and were in contact with Mo’s legal advisor. The hotel even offered to pay Mo the amount stolen, only to withdraw the offer when he prematurely left the hotel and moved to other accommodation, due to security concerns. Despite many attempts to discuss this issue privately with Mr. Gebrselassie, he did not respond but now that he has, we would welcome him or his legal team getting in touch so that this matter can be resolved.”

OlympicTalk is on Apple News. Favorite us!

[twitter-follow screen_name=’nbcolympictalk’ show_count=’yes’ text_color=’00ccff’]